CLICK

ADD REPLY.  NEW TOPIC.  NEW POLL.  

Chapter ı For science, Aimeric
viviana lannister
 Posted: Oct 15 2017, 03:49 AM
QUOTE.  

Today was a special day for Viviana.
There were so many things she didn't know about science - and especially about medicine, but she was eager to discover them. However, a guide was needed for some journeys. The doors of the Citadel were closed to her; it didn't stop her. After hearing about Aimeric Tully and despite a Maester's advice, she had sent him a raven full of excitement and curiosity. Maybe it was the thought of writing to someone rather young with an interest in medicine. She couldn't - and wouldn't anyway - talk about it with her brothers. And the wait for a reply had begun. She had sighed a lot in these past days, and some rumors had started to spread amidst the servants. However, nobody had dared ask the question twirling in their minds.

At some point, ravens weren't enough, and she had asked Aimeric if she could visit Riverrun.

And now, she was here, sparkling eyes and a childish smile plastered on her face. Her blond hair was tied in a ponytail, and her attire looked like quite masculine. Instead of her usual type of dress, Viviana was wearing a made to measure garnet tunic with golden embroideries on the shoulders and pants. From afar, she could have passed as a young man. Her handmaiden had insisted she couldn't go out like that, she was a Lady, but a Lady's dress wasn't always convenient. She needed to move freely and probably to react quickly. Witnessing an operation was a first for her.

"So, what are you going to do?" She asked while examining around her, her hands behind her back. There were so many things she wanted to touch, to observe from every angle, but she was behaving, knowing she could flood Aimeric with her questions later.

@Aimeric Tully

PM.
^
Aimeric Tully
 Posted: Oct 16 2017, 12:30 AM
QUOTE.  

family. duty. honor.
Aimeric gave a brisk clap of his hands, turning to the Lannister woman with an enthused grin on his face. A few days prior, Aimeric wondered if his noble guest might show up to his little demonstration in fine silks and jewels, and was quite pleased to see that she'd dressed in practical attire for the occasion, so he might not fear blemishing some priceless gown. Not only that, but Viviana was exactly the woman he'd come to admire through her letters: educated, curious, earnest, easy to converse with … It was rare to find someone who not only tolerated Aimeric's penchant for medical oddities, but who was personally intrigued, and asked fascinating questions.

“I thought I'd show you a study in anatomy, using a deceased subject. I hope you don't mind; and, perhaps it is for the best that your continued interest in these gruesome things remains a bit inconspicuous. I'd hate to bring trouble on your reputation, all for the sake of humoring me.” Aimeric gave a sigh, rolling his trusty gloves onto his hands before approaching the blanket-covered gurney, beckoning Viviana to come closer.

“Unless I intend to operate on the head or brain, I tend to leave them covered. Feels a little more respectful,” Aimeric said, politely removing the blanket covering the body's torso. The dead man's flesh was pale and bloodless; Aimeric had drawn a guiding line of ink in the shape of a Y over the chest, indicating where he'd make the cut.

“Today I'll be showing you the chest cavity. Despite all the breastplates and cuirasses of the world, a majority of men collect wounds there, and sadly most of them are fatal. Perhaps one day we might learn to operate more delicately, in order to save those lives … and so I feel these explorations are somewhat grim, but necessary.” He placed a cloth over his nose and mouth, fastening it behind his head, and motioned for Viviana to do the same. Sanitation was probably the leading failure of the modern sciences – or so was Aimeric's theory. “Do you have any questions so far, Viviana?”

@vivana lannister
BY MITZI
PM.
^
viviana lannister
 Posted: Oct 18 2017, 01:41 AM
QUOTE.  

"Nobody can stop bored people. Blabbing and observing others are their pastime." There was some detachment in her voice. Anyone could start a rumor: a domestic confiding having seen her to a domestic from a vassal house for example. An innocent chat could turn into something bigger. Viviana couldn't care less about her reputation, and coming closer, she scrutinized the blanket. A swift nod to Aimeric's words showed she was listening, but her eyes were following the Y line on the skin. Her mouth suddenly shaped into an O; she blinked then imitated Aimeric before tilting her head.

"How did you drain the blood? And about the wounds… can you identify the differences between a wound done by a spear, by a sword or by a dagger? I mean, the starting point to heal something is to find the cause, is it the same way for the wounds?" Maybe that was why she loved science. While her emotions could get in the way, logic and connecting the dots avoided unnecessary feelings. "And if the type of wounds can be identified, does it mean it can lead to a classification? And -" Her voice stopped as she realized, she was about to submerge him with her questions.

She cleared her throat and looked at the body. How did he die? What was his story? Did he die for something he believed? Did he suffer? "Can you tell when the death is immediate or not?"

@Aimeric Tully

PM.
^
Aimeric Tully
 Posted: Oct 19 2017, 02:25 PM
QUOTE.  

family. duty. honor.
Aimeric's hands hovered over the dead patient, suddenly struck by all of her questions. He could barely contain his excitement for answering them, here in person. So many things to say! “Draining the blood is a matter of speed and efficiency. In the maester's college I was taught to find the large artery in the neck and drain from there. You can see my incision … here.” He showed her the cut, and prodded it open slightly, so she might see the white, bloodless tube that was once the artery. “And as to your question about identification. Spears, swords, and daggers all have particular appearances when it comes to the point of entry. A thrust from faraway, versus a sword slash – which possesses a distinct arc - or an quick jab from a dagger all tend to look different.

“As to your idea of classification, I personally think that could be a brilliant way of organizing these injuries! I had suggested something similar myself, actually. How alike we are. Alas, the maesters of Oldtown would never agree on descriptors. I can promise you months of cocky old men, lecturing on the adjectives they think best for classification, all while their patients bleed out in the sickroom somewhere … sad, but true.”

Aimeric shook his head. “But now begins your first lesson, Viviana. The time of death. There are two key clues that a body will give you, in determining this. The first would be the relative temperature of the body. Every hour that passes, it grows slightly colder. We have instruments to measure this lost heat, and even a calculation that is somewhat accurate in providing the exact time. However, when one doesn't have all the time in the world, and perhaps a murderer is on the loose, or any other pressing matter really, and we must know this information quickly – rigor mortis can tell us just as much and far faster. The first places to experience rigor is in the face and neck, where it will work its way down the body, where the muscles are larger and will take more time to mortify. The process begins two hours after death, so you already know that amount of time has passed if there is any significant stiffening in those areas.

“However, rigor mortis will disappear roughly two days after death, and without preservation, that body will begin to decay. This body here is not yet that old, and so the skin here is still affected. I, er, will begin the processs of the vivisection, opening the chest cavity. Please, ask any other questions at your leisure. I do appreciate them.”

Aimeric then began the initial incision, following the inked guideline, his hands steady as he slowly opened the body down the center. Normally it was easy to forget everything else, while he was in the middle of an operation, and the world narrowed down to him and the slender little blades that made up his tools, but something about Viviana's presence made him feel a bit self-conscious of the fact that he was doing something a bit gruesome or appalling. The sight or smell didn't bother him, but the thought of disturbing her suddenly alarmed him.

“Ah … Viviana?”

@vivana lannister
BY MITZI
PM.
^
viviana lannister
 Posted: Oct 24 2017, 02:15 PM
QUOTE.  

All her attention was focused on Aimeric's voice and gestures. Her eyes followed them as she promised herself to note every information she could remember down in the evening. Then she should study it. Knights' bodies scored by scratches and cicatrices looked like perfect examples. But behind his words lay a world she could only imagine. Picturing the Knights of the mind quibbling over terms while someone was bleeding saddened her. There were some reasons why they were pursuing knowledge.

Flustered thoughts clouded her mind. Coming to her senses at the word 'lesson', Viviana paid greater attention to his explanations. New questions sprung, but the blade quickly hypnotized her gaze. After several weeks, after a travel, the long-awaited operation started.

And now, she was realizing a certain detail. She could handle the sight - dead animals, like rabbits or chicken, could be found in the kitchen and she never felt something special while the domestics cleaned out them. But the smell took her by surprise. Her stomach twisted; her throating was burning. No meat this evening.

Still, she was determined to stay. As she stepped backward, her skin slowly blanched. "I'm sorry, it's just the- the smell." She didn't want to admit it; her voice betrayed her feelings. Only her stubbornness was refraining her from retreating. But for how long? Trying to pull herself together, she decided to change her focus. "Aimeric, you should pursue your vision. No matter the Maester think, if you have a good idea, you should go for it. At least, you won't regret it later." And who knows? The current Maester were mortals, and their successors might value a classification at its worth.

However, as she mentioned regret, she stepped back again. A few steps and she was ready to run outside, even if her legs were feeling a little wobbly. Frustration was growing: she wanted to talk more, but was avoiding doing it.

@Aimeric Tully

PM.
^
Aimeric Tully
 Posted: Nov 8 2017, 10:36 PM
QUOTE.  

family. duty. honor.
“Don't you worry, Viviana. In terms of regret, I have those in plenty. What's one more?” Aimeric was well on his way, about to widen the incision he'd made when he realized the staggering in his guest's voice – and when he looked over to her, he was shocked to realize she'd paled in revulsion. Aimeric quickly turned his head around the room, searching. My gods, I'm a fool, aren't I? Where did I put it …

He finally spotted it – a thicker mask, with a beak-like protrusion that covered the nose and mouth. “Ah, Viviana, if you like – that mask is laden with camphor and an infusion of roses and lavender. To block the smell and prevent nausea. Perhaps it could help? If you need a moment to excuse yourself, I don't mind! Er, we don't mind. Not to discount the dead. Gods, I'm so sorry, I babble when I'm nervous. Not that you make me nervous, Viviana, I adore your company, but I hate to see that I've made you so uncomfortable!” Aimeric's shoulders drooped miserably. “Let's not continue. It is probably best that you get some air. The fumes can be – I mean, the miasma – nevermind it. I can sew up these remains quickly, and we can carry on our conversation elsewhere. More theory, and less ... necrotic flesh. Such unpleasantness, I forget myself.”

@vivana lannister
BY MITZI
PM.
^
viviana lannister
 Posted: Nov 17 2017, 04:08 PM
QUOTE.  

Her eyes widened, and a sudden panic shook her. If Viviana was interested in theory, it was totally different from what she expected, from what she had waited for. "Aimeric!" Protestation filled her voice. She wanted to stay here, even if she had to crawl on the floor, to kneel down, eyes at the level of the dead body. But her stomach was still disagreeing. "I'm sorry," Her upbringing had left some traces, and she couldn't help but feel like a child who had failed, who hadn't met her own expectations. Why hadn't she prepared something? Why didn't she ask their current Maester for advice?

Rapidly she pulled the piece of cloth out. "I should wait for you outside." Viviana tried to tone down her voice, controlling her disappointment. Without saying more, she left. Once outside, she stood against a wall and fell on the ground in the blink of an eye. As she leaned, a deep sigh slipped from her mouth. She quickly arranged her hair to hide her face - and her expression. The situation wasn't that serious, but being aware of it didn't change something. There was always a goal, she had to reach, in her head. Soon the past week began to play in her head: did she miss something? Had she been that careless?

"My first corpse," Way more important than her first kiss. Mostly because it was way harder to get so close to corpses in this state than men. She doubted her family would support her interest, and they would arrange these kinds of studies for her. Oh, she could totally imagine herself, saying in the middle of a rare family lunch 'I'm going to store dead bodies in the cellars.' She could also imagine it wasn't the best idea. Besides who was ready to teach her except Aimeric?

Next time, she'd stay until the end. But quickly picking up herself, she took her time to stand up again. From where she was, she couldn't hear a sound. Was Aimeric disappointed? Should she try to enter the room again?

As she slightly opened the door, she said. "Aimeric? Is everything alright?"

@Aimeric Tully

PM.
^
Aimeric Tully
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 09:42 PM
QUOTE.  

family. duty. honor.
Aimeric swore colorfully as he closed up the incision, quickly scrawling a note for his assistants to move the body away at the side. He'd find another method to teach Viviana, or perhaps better prepare her for the sight and smell of a corpse the next time. It was a bit frightening to him, that he'd grown accustomed to these gruesome things, to the utter nausea of his guest. He closed the blanket over the body, and lifted off his gloves.

He gave a start when Viviana's voice peeked through the door, along with one of her curious eyes and a curl of golden hair. Aimeric blushed, and opened the door enough to slip out with her, leaving the dark and cold operating room behind them.

“Yes … it's really fine. I can get someone to care for this specimen later. And I do hope you could forgive me. Perhaps for our next 'lesson' – and I really hope we do have another, time and circumstances allowing – I will find a more suitable way to get my points across. However, I must insist now that you allow me to show you the Riverrun gardens. Not only are flowers adequate in dispelling unpleasant scents and humors, I could show you some of the plants of notable medicinal quality. Or, we could merely observe the beautiful things.” Aimeric gave Viviana a tender, thoughtful look before gesturing in the direction of the gardens, as if to say, shall we?

And to that end, Aimeric hoped his noble visitor to Riverrun would not regret her time there.

@vivana lannister
BY MITZI
PM.
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

TOPIC OPTIONS.   ADD REPLY.  NEW TOPIC.  NEW POLL.  

a resource community face in the crowd UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED All of Me ♥ Ataraxy Avalon a Panfandom RP Simple and Clean STARSTRUKK - ANIMANGA ENTERTAINMENT CITY RP Yuri Roleplay Rise of the Believers DIVESTED - A Canon Shingeki no Kyojin Roleplay FABLE Fallen Kismet: Let Fate Connect You RAINBOW CONNECTION realm of the seven realm of the seven realm of the seven

welcome back,